Monday, June 17, 2013

DIY Science Experiment

I think I saw this idea in an email from Baby-Center on cool things to tell my 3 year old.  It's pretty much the simplest experiment ever. And my son LOVED it.  You put white flowers in a vase of colored water.  The flowers "drink" the water and start to turn the same color as the water.  Pretty exciting.

Materials Needed:

  • White Flowers
  • Clear Vase
  • Water
  • Food Dye
1.  Obtain Materials.  I found my flowers while I was on a run.  A mini field of white daisy's!  

2.  Combine Ingredients.  I put about 5 drops of blue food coloring in the water.
So my bouquet is a little pathetic but I did run home with them and A. didn't mind anyway.  

He wanted to sit and wait for the flowers to turn blue...but it takes a few hours.  



And the result.  So the whole flower doesn't turn blue but all the flowers have blue streaked tips.  Maybe if I would have put more food coloring in there would have been a more drastic result?  But A. still thought it was awesome.  Mission Accomplished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment